Joint Replacement Recovery

Statistics show that approximately 60% of the people who undergo knee replacement surgery are women between the ages of 50 and 80. The remaining 40% of knee replacement patients are made up of men in the same age category and a small number of men and women under the age of 50. 

Hip replacement surgeries are also common among the same age group. And according to the website, WEB MD, the number of joint replacement surgeries is most likely going to increase significantly over the next 20 years. Why? Because baby boomers are getting older and ‘paying for’ their years of not taking care of their bodies. 

Why joint replacement surgeries are on the rise isn’t really the issue, though. What is the issue, however, is how to make the most of the recovery process so that life can be as pain-free as possible. 

Recovering from joint replacement surgery

I know from personal experience with family members that within hours after undergoing joint replacement surgery, the patient is up and moving. Slowly and a bit painfully, but moving. Why? Because that’s part of the healing process—to work and exercise the new joint under the close and careful supervision of the doctors and therapy staff. 

Therapy is the key to successful joint replacement. Or should I say, therapy done right—as in therapy using the right equipment. 

Equipment for successful joint replacement recovery

The key to recovering successfully from joint replacement surgery is to use rather than abuse your new joint. 

  • Putting just enough pressure and weight on it. 
  • Stretching it just the right amount. 
  • Increasing your range of motion at just the right intervals. 

All of these are key and happen best when you a)follow the doctor’s orders and b) have the right equipment for healing correctly. 

Walkers
A walker will be your best friend those first few weeks following your surgery. A walker allows you to limit the amount of weight you put on your hip or knee by letting the walker carry the bulk of the pressure of your body while standing and walking.

A cane
A few weeks after surgery you will graduate from a walker to a cane. This allows you to walk and stand normally, but with an added measure of balance and help just in case you need it. Canes also provide a sense of stability when you find yourself walking on uneven surfaces. 

Mobility scooters
There are times when you don’t want to be left behind but simply aren’t able to stay on your feet as long as everyone else in the group. A mobility scooter lets you maintain an active social life without causing undo stress on your artificial joints—especially during the recovery period. 

Rent…don’t buy
While there is definitely a time and place to purchase home healthcare aids such as the ones listed above, recovering from joint replacement surgery isn’t one of them. After all, the whole reason for the surgery was to increase the quality of your life and to give you back your mobility. 

That’s why renting the items needed to experience a satisfying and successful recovery from joint replacement surgery is the way to go. Renting equipment from a reputable home healthcare business is cost-effective and safe. By renting from someone who specializes in the home healthcare industry you will have the peace of mind that the equipment meets all safety standards, is well-maintained, sanitary, and that the staff will be able to answer any questions you have regarding its use. 

A successful recovery is the goal for someone undergoing joint replacement surgery.
Let us help you reach that goal. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Call Now ButtonCall Now